Five national importance roads cross Zemgale. The national importance roads A12 and A6 also include one of the longest West - East direction of the European international highway E22, which is also the Trans-European Transport Network (TEN-T). Road A7 direction to North-South incorporates into the European international line E67, but the A8 is a part of North - South direction of the European international motorway E77.
There are 28 state and regional roads and 237 local roads crossing Zemgale and road network density in Zemgale is better than average density in Latvia.
Several international railroads, pipelines - lines of oil products and gas pipelines cross Zemgale region.
On the basis of the public Transport services Law and the Road Transport Law, the competence of the Zemgale planning region includes:
- Prepare proposals to the Public Transport Council regarding the management of the route network and to the Road Transport Administration regarding planning, development of routes of regional significance of the route network and determination of tariffs for public transport services and their changes, as well as regarding other issues on behalf of the public Transport Council.
- Find out and collect the views of local municipalities and residents in the planning region regarding the route network in the territory of the region.
- Inspect planning regions bus stops and to provide proposals regarding their necessity, construction and inclusion in route timetables or route descriptions.
- Perform other tasks in accordance with the decisions of the Public Transport Council.
- Issue and administer special permits (licenses) and license cards for commercial transportation of passengers by taxi in the administrative territory of Zemgale.
The Public Transport Council performs the joint function of the management and organization of public transport route networks of regional significance.
The Road Transport Administration is the executive body of the decisions of the public Transport Council, as well as the successor in the rights, obligations, archives and record keeping of planning regions in matters related to the management and organization of public transport services on regional routes of local significance of the bus route network.